Re: [gnome-love] An idea about new icon in gnome

Hi Marco,

On 11/10/06, Marco A. <linediconsine gmail com> wrote:
Think about the icon not like a link but like a script
<snip />
For this sample we think that we are working in a Debian based(ubuntu)
system and the icon rapresent Inkscape (a free vector graphics program)

The user found this icon for sampe in a cd , and move the icon in the
Desktop,

This action make esecute the script
move(CD,Desktop)
the script in this case say
$ sudo apt-get install inkscape

<snip />

I know that this is not a really EUREKA but I think that can work really
smooth.....or not ?
What do you think about?

That sounds interesting. The 'install' part is not really required,
though. AFAIK Nautilus (and probably other desktop file managers too)
already does the right thing if you double-click on an RPM/Deb file.

Supporting removal will be neat. If .desktop files have a
RemoveCommand field this would be doable. As far as the user is
concerned, this would make GUI application install/removal   like in
RiscOS/ROX/NeXTSTEP/OS X's AppDir concept, where the thing that looks
like an icon is really a folder containing all your application files,
so you are really copying and deleting the entire application.

--
Michel Salim

Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
avoiding you.
               -- The Old Farmer's Almanac