Me = Failing at getting colour management to work :(

Anthony Batchelor tony at ynottony.net
Tue Sep 21 19:32:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,
  I've been trying to get colour management to work for a while now (on
and off for a couple of months) and am having pretty bad results.

ATM, I'm just concerned with getting things looking correct and
consistent on the screen, and in the future will also be setting up a
printer and a scanner.

My monitor is an LG M227WD, for which I have the supplied colour
profile.  The software I am trying to use is:
      * Gnome Colour Manager: 2.30
      * Gimp: 2.6.10
              * with UFraw: 0.16
      * Shotwell: 0.7.2
      * rawstudio: 1.2

In GCM, I have my monitor set to use the supplied M227WD.icm file and
have set this as the system default.  The working space RGB is sRGB
IEC61996-2.1 and the CMYK is Fogra27L CMYK Coated Press.  Rendering
intent are both set to Perceptual.  Apply display correction and Set
profile for colour managed applications are both checked.

Whenever I try to load an image into these programs, the colours are
different in each of them.  Also, on some photos, the colours seem very
different from how they appear on my cameras screen (and how they looked
in real life).

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  How do I set it up correctly?  I
can't find any web site that goes into the details of setting up colour
profiles correctly and setting up all the usual apps to use them.

Kind Regards,
  Anthony Batchelor