Multiple profile device support

Pascal de Bruijn pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl
Wed May 26 15:58:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Paul Finnigan <paul at fincc.com> wrote:
> Richard
>
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 09:29 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> Why might we want more than one profile for a device?
>> Now, the DBus interface and the device-profiles configuration already
>> supports multiple profiles for each device, just not the UI. If you
>> guys have any other use cases for more than one profile for a device
>> then I'm interested.
>
> I have one to think about. I am racking my tiny mind to see how this
> would fit in with gcm! My camera profile is associated with an image!

Really? Thus far I've never seen any camera profile RAW files with
embedded profiles... Or am I misunderstanding?

> I have a Nikon D700, I thought other Nikon cameras took similar views.
> Each image has a profile associated with it according to the conditions
> under which the photograph was taken.

How do you figure this?

> I agree that five or six profiles will probably cover me for most of my
> work. But each image has a profile built in it. Do I need this or should
> the application be using this as a offset to a base profile?

Please don't confuse an actual color profile, for other color
post-processing options...

For example I think CaptureNX actually generates ICC files on-the-fly
for the processing settings selected in the app, and seems to do the
full image transform in the CMS... At least as far as I heard (I never
personally investigated this properly, HEARSAY WARNING). It's a pretty
creative approach, though not how color management is intended nor how
it should be used...

If you profile your camera yourself, usually a few profiles should do
very well... I tend to get by very well with only a single matrix only
profile), and a decent basecurve.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn