No package 'sane-backends' found

Pascal de Bruijn pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl
Wed Mar 24 17:25:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

When trying to build gnome-color-manager from git on Ubuntu Lucid, I
get the following:

  checking for X11... yes
  checking for SANE... configure: error: Package requirements
(sane-backends) were not met:

  No package 'sane-backends' found

So it's having trouble finding SANE... So either my SANE is broken, or
something is funky in GCM configure...

When I do apt-get build-dep xsane, nothing gets installed, so I should
have all the development dependencies (including libsane-dev) to build
anything against libsane.

The usual place for a pc file is /usr/lib/pkgconfig right? There is
nothing with sane in it there... So that would mean Lucid's SANE is
broken?

I'd love to hear your view on this...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn