Possible interaction between the Color manager and Argyllcms

Leonard Evens len at math.northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 26 23:45:28 UTC 2010

1.  I am running Fedora 13.  dispwin used directly doesn't seem to do
what it did previously.   I can use dispwin -I Profile_path  to install
a profile, but it doesn't persist as it did under previous versions of
Fedora (including Fedora 12).  But, I can use the gnome color manager to
set the display profile, and that does seem topersist.

I wonder if the gnome color management is somehow interfering with way
argyllcms ordinarily works.

2.  In using the color manager to profile a laptop (running Ubuntu 10.4)
screen, and using my Eye One Pro, I encountered some problems.  The
Eye-One Pro has to be calibrated on its base, but the color manager
doesn't ask me to do that.  In order to get it done, I have to press
Details, which brings up the usual argyllcms command line interface.
But it is not clear exactly what I am supposed to do using that
interface and what using the color manager.

If I understood the intended sequence of events, it might be clearer to
me how to proceed.

Also,  the color manager didn't allow me to do any hardware calibration.
Of course, for my laptop screen that is somewhat restricted---the only
control is screen brightness.  I don't know what will happen when I try
this an external monitor with lots of controls.  Perhaps I am just
supposed  to continue in the Details window with argyllcms commands?
Leonard Evens len at math.northwestern.edu
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University