Conceptual questions

Florian Höch lists+gnome-color-manager at hoech.org
Fri Jul 2 14:21:29 UTC 2010

Am 02.07.2010 14:58, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> Right. I don't think a "default softproofing device" makes much sense
> when you're aiming the feature at things like print preview. A
> "default softproofing device" might make sense as a per-application
> option if you're proofing to a PDF or something, although that sounds
> all very application specific.

I think I agree on this.

> I'm guessing it's just choosing where to put the line. I would argue
> that asking the user what rendering mode they want to use for a print
> preview is overboard, as you could just choose a good default and use
> that. Similarly for rendering random RGB spaces to the desktop,
> perceptual is probably the best plan.

Right. My concern is more if applications (or rather developers) then
know to do the "right thing" when they query GCM for the current
"softproof" setting to do a print preview, which would be, "convert
image with user selected GCM 'softproof' intent to device space, then
absolute colorimetrically to the display" - we don't want gamut mapping
to happen twice, that would invalidate the print preview. Of course
matrix profiles only support colorimetric either way. Still, it's
something to keep in mind.

> If you've got any better ideas about what should be in the UI (BPC?)
> as a sensible per-session default then I'm interested. You could also
> argue that dispcalGUI and GCM should be working closer together in
> this respect, and I'm open for suggestions.

Personally I'd probably label the current "softproof" intent setting as
"print preview" or something along the line.
And I think adding an option for BPC would indeed be a nice touch.
Rather than adding a checkbox or other additional control, just another
intent "Relative with black point compensation" could be added to the
dropdown lists.

Re making dispcalGUI and GCM work closer together: Sure, it's an option.
I wouldn't limit it to dispcalGUI though as other screen
calibration/profiling solutions may exist in future (I hear LProf was/is
planning to have a measurement capability, but I have to admit I'm not
really well informed in that regard). Some wild thinking: Users can
already choose their preferred applications for different
filetypes/tasks. Maybe in the future, users can choose the preferred
calibration solution in a similar way? Although right now, it's probably
over the top, as only dispcalGUI and GCM exist as viable options afaik
:) (and of course, directly using the Argyll tools on the commandline)

Regards,
--
Florian Höch
http://hoech.net