Color management in ubuntu

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:25:52 UTC 2010

On 1 July 2010 17:42, Marek Matulka <marek.matulka at gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be awesome!

I've been experimenting with GLSL shaders, and doing the color
conversion in hardware on the GPU. We've hit a few stumbing blocks in
clutter, but I'm adding API to clutter where required. Using the
hardware allows us to do lots of clever interpolation in 3D to make
things super sweet. Without using GPU hardware it's quite hard to
process high-def video at normal frame rates.

Long term this means we can attach a ClutterShader object to different
mutter windows and color correct whole windows / subwindows on the
GPU. Thatis, unless the application opts out of color managed mode. Or
opts in. I'm not sure. There's a net-color-spec that we could use,
although this seems very difficult to implement without working on a
post-composited display like compiz provides. Either way, unless the
ClutterTexture patches get written none of it will work :)

Richard.