Color management in ubuntu

Gys van Zyl gysvanzyl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 15:31:58 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions that may be a bit silly due to my beginner
level knowledge of color management.

I'm an amateur/hobby photographer and I've been using ubuntu for a while
(currently using 10.04).  For a while now I've realized the importance of
having a color managed workflow, but have put off getting the hardware as I
thought getting everything installed, set up and configured would be tough
in linux.  I recently purchased a Pantone Huey monitor calibration device
and you could imagine my pleasant surprise when I found how extremely easy
everything was to use with gnome color manager.  In no time, with almost
zero effort I had everything up and running.  Kudos to the developer(s) -
this is excellent software!

So, to test how color management works in a browser, I found this web site:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html.
 Using google chrome (a non color managed browser) this page is a mess of
incorrectly rendered photo's - I expected this.  Using Firefox, things are a
lot better - imbedded color profiles are now honored and the photos display
fine. However, about half-way down the page at the heading "sRGB / Standard
RGB 2.2 gamma" I've come across a problem.  This photo is a tagged/untagged
rollover of an sRGB image.  It says that "If your monitor is profiled to 2.2
gamma and D65- 6500 kelvin, there should be minimum change in the Un-tagged
sRGB rollover."  In my Firefox window, the change is not minor, and I'm
trying to figure out why this is.

In my workflow all exif data is stripped from my photo's before I upload to
the web.  I thought that this wouldn't matter, as long as my final image was
created in an sRGB colorspace.  However, I have now found that my photo's
look subtly but definitely different in the software I use (gimp, digikam)
and my browsers.

My limited understanding of color management led me to believe that
un-tagged sRGB images should look the same in a browser on a color-managed
system.  However, on my system they don't and its causing a problem for me -
my photo's don't display the way I intended.  How can I resolve this?  Is my
understanding wrong, should I educate myself a bit more?  Did I do something
wrong when I calibrated my monitor?

Gys