Looking for supporters to provide Richard H with ColorMunki Photo

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:17:06 UTC 2010

On 13 February 2010 01:16, Paul Finnigan <paul at fincc.com> wrote:
> What a nice way of putting it! It sounds like you are used to being part
> of a community, rather than a gathering of geeks. It is amazing but
> through everyone's (OK in the main Richard's) efforts I feel part of
> this community without putting anything in myself (I am still attempting
> to get setup in paypal. I am ancient and not used to money being passed
> over the ether. Don't worry Richard I will put my money where my mouth
> is as soon as I can get money into paypal).

We've very nearly reached the total! I'm nearly at the "amount I can
sneak on the shared credit card without the wife noticing" stage :-)

> Thanks to this project I have found many new friends. How can I help?
> Richard has suggested people to write the help documentation. I am
> willing but what format and how? Is there a howto I can read anywhere
> that would help? I am desperate to do more but my skills are in the area
> of project and service management not coding.

Right, then we need to start with some documentation or UI fixes, and
then work on from there. My spelling and grammar are notoriously bad,
so this is where I need the most help.

If you first:

* download the git package (using yum, apt-get, or your distro tool)
* "clone" the developers checkout. For this you want to follow
http://live.gnome.org/Git/Developers -- specifically the project name
is gnome-color-manager (you can also ignore 90% of that page, it's
overly complicated, but maybe a good read if you want detail)
* create you're own personal branch (not on the server): git checkout
-b my-playground-branch
* Edit the file help/C/gnome-color-manager.xml, copying the syntax
(e.g. using <para> for a new paragraph), making the changes you want
* "commit" the changes, which basically means you save them, and give
them a description: git commit -a -m "Correct the spelling of Colour
to Color" --author "Richard Hughes <richard at hughsie.com>"
* get a text file of the changes you want to send to us: "git
format-patch master" (this generates
0001-a-file-with-a-peculiar-name.patch)

Send the 0001-a-file-with-a-peculiar-name.patch as an attachment to
this mailing list. Then you can either go back to the pristine
upstream tree "git checkout master" or stay on your private tree and
make more changes. You can commit many small changes and then do "git
format-patch" and you get files 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, etc and send
them all in one long email.

If you break stuff, then you can get rid of all your changes (since
the last time you committed them) with "git reset --hard", and you can
ensure you've got the latest changes from upstream by doing "git
checkout master && git pull --rebase"

It sounds complicated, but give it a try and yell when you get stuck.
Weekdays I'm on IRC if that helps.

Richard.