Looking for supporters to provide Richard H with ColorMunki Photo

Pascal de Bruijn pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl
Fri Feb 12 11:15:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro at pedrocr.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl> wrote:
>> Your hack was pretty cool, but it's not really handy to implement as a
>> generic solution for GCM, we need no fuss solutions.
> We will surely need a default mode that does that but my experience
> with doing it like you do bellow is that 200 patches isn't really
> reasonable. With the default settings you need 2 Letter pages to do
> ~190 and that generates pretty useless profiles. So to do the ~450+900
> patches I ended up using for a decent profile you'd need ~15 pages
> which is a terrible waste of paper and ink.
> Like Richard says, it would be great to have the profiling instruments
> defined in a config somewhere, so that one can define a "Munki" and a
> "Pimped-out Munki". Exposing the argyll config flags in an "Advanced"
> UI probably makes sense too as people doing color profiling would tend
> to be advanced users.
>> This works very well for me... and would be a great default for medium quality:
>>  argyll-targen -v -d2 -f 210 xxx
> I ended up only getting good results at 450+900 patches. I suppose
> lower than that could also work. This should probably be given as an
> option to the user. Maybe a slider with markings or poor - basic -
> good - great and an automatic calculation of how many pages it is
> going to print, so that the user can do the tradeoff himself.

Highly depends on what kind of accuracy ones expects...

210 patches and -qm works reasonably well...

I actually tried making a profile using 840 patches, and -qh, and I
don't see a big difference here... Though my printer is much crappier
than yours.

>>  printtarg -v -i CM -h -T 300 -p A4 xxx

Anyway, patches count should most likely always be multiple of what a
single sheet can hold...

1x A4 -> 210
2x A4 -> 420
3x A4 -> 630
4x A4 -> 840

This may be different for letter (190?).

> My hack uses "-i i1". I haven't used the -T one. What does increasing
> the resolution help with?

This is seriously not an option for GCM... requiring users to make
their own DIY patch reading guide.

The colorimeter/spectrophotometer should work as develivered by the

GNOME is about making things work as expected... not requiring DIY

For these kinds of strategies, using the Argyll commandline tools
should be fine.

Pascal de Bruijn