Incorrect parsing of .icm files?

Jeff web.kiddo at free.fr
Thu Dec 10 20:56:13 UTC 2009

Hello,
I wanted to give gnome-color-manager a try just out of curiosity. I own
a Dell Inspiron 910 (a.k.a. Mini 9) netbook, which (to my untrained eye)
seems to have good colors out of the box. I downloaded the Windows
drivers for this netbook's monitor here:
http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?releaseid=R229102&fileid=329762

It seems like the monitor is called ST2010, there's an ST2010B and
ST2010F version of the driver... both contain the exact same ".icm" file
(verified with md5sum), which is attached to this message.

Now, here comes the actual question: loading this .icm file in GNOME
Color Manager and using it creates obviously incorrect colors (as if
someone punched contrast and saturation way up), compared to the default
colors (no color profile loaded; colors appear neutral). With the ICC
profile loaded, for example, gradients in the Clearlooks GTK theme lose
definition: the slight gray gradients on the combobox widgets disappears
completely into white.

I'm just wondering if
- this is a bug in GNOME Color Manager
- this is a buggy .icm file
- it's a PEBKAC.

I wish I could take a screenshot, but screenshots don't work in this
case (and photo cameras have trouble photographing LCD screens)...