Camera input profiling make/model handling

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 19:09:22 UTC 2009

2009/12/3 Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl>:
> I haven't had time yet to properly check this, but what is used by GCM
> for make/model info when profiling cameras/scanners?

Information from sysfs.

> At least for camera's it seems wise to use Make/Model from EXIF. This
> way, software like UFRaw and DarkTable (and others) can use the EXIF
> make/model to match which profiles should be valid for a certain RAW
> file...

GCM doesn't treat the device like a storage device, it treats it as a
USB endpoint device, which means we don't look at the files contained
within.

> Luckily EXIF is much better human readable (and generally less
> ambiguous) than EDID...

I think this is the wrong layer. What happens if the EXIF data for one
file on the "device" has different colorspaces or even two different
device models? The device can carry all number of different EXIF
files, but the device can only have one profile. If you inserted a
pendrive of photos, would you expect to assign a per-pendrive ICC
profile?

I think it's sane for the end application to open the file with EXIF
metadata and then decided what to do. If it wants to just use the
embedded profile, that's fine, or it can ask gcm for the default
device profile from the volume (which it can get from udev).

Richard.