Help required: Getting primary illuminants and white point from ICC file

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:58:41 UTC 2009

Attached is the new widget I've just added to gnome-color-manager git
master. It allows us to show the user a preview of the gamut range of
the profile in a graphical way, much like OSX does.

You should be able to see the lightly shaded section. At the moment
I've hardcoded the CIE REC 709 x-y values, but of course it's easy to
change when put into GcmPrefs.

So, the point of this email: I wanted to get the CIE x and y
coordinates (or XYZ of course) of the three primary illuminants and
the x and y coordinates of the white point from the device ICC
profile.

Is there an easy way to extract these end-point values from the ICC
file? I guess mediaWhitePointTag is the latter half of the problem,
but I'm not sure how to deal with the LUT values. Ideas welcome.
Thanks.

Richard.