Re: GNOME 1.4beta1 build order conundrum

On 27 Feb 2001 11:00:43 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Ade Lovett <ade FreeBSD org> writes:
[snip]
> > The conundrum is this.  Is bonobo support in libglade (a) relatively
> > stable and (b) worth the effort of dragging in a lot of extra bits
> > and pieces to build gnome-core.  Can it even be done -- is there
> > a (cyclic) gnome-core dependency in bonobo?
> >
> > ie: given that I need libglade to build gnome-core, do I build it
> >     with, or without, bonobo?
>
> I don't believe Bonobo requires gnome-core, so you can move it
> up in the order.
>
> I don't know the status of Bonobo support in libglade, or whether
> anybody is using it. (I'm pretty sure that none of the core 1.4
> packages do, but perhaps Evolution...?)

I just talked to Michael Meeks about Bonobo support in glade and
libglade, and he stated that it was "sub-optimal".  He also said that
Dietmar (I think that was it) was busy hacking on this, and that we
might see a new release with better Bonobo support in the next couple of
weeks, if not sooner.  The recomendation is to ship glade/libglade
without bonobo support if you're using the GNOME 1.4 packages.
    Greg