Re: GNOME's Values

Hey Sam!

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 05:21, philip.chimento--- via board-list <board-list gnome org> wrote:

What are GNOME's values?

As I contributor I have some vague ideas, but I ask this because if someone visits gnome.org looking for them, there's little on any of the pages (including those of the Foundation) that formalizes the guiding principles or values of the project as a whole.

There are some small references to GNOME's "goals" (which are values-adjacent) but nowhere do we go into detail about what those goals are:

I know that there has been some discussion about making goals and values more prominent on the website, and I'm sure that the Engagement Team would welcome proposals. The About page *definitely* needs work.

 I propose some sort of formalization of values that is publicly available for everyone.

Strong principles and values are great motivators for people to get involved and a free software community & project that comes to mind that does this well is Mozilla. Mozilla not only has has clear declaration of values with their misson statement but they also publish the Mozilla Manifesto outlining the project's principles and I think it's a great example that we should emulate.

This is a great point, and I think that it would be good for the board to consider it.

Something I've wanted to do for a long while is to write a privacy charter for the project. It would be part privacy policy, part design guidelines for how we as a project should handle privacy issues.