Re: LAS update email

Thanks Meg, sent.

Carlos Soriano
GNOME Board of Directors

On 19 February 2018 at 22:28, meg ford <megford gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

I'm just correcting grammar. I think the email already clearly conveys the content of the board's discussions.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 3:43 AM, Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
Thanks for the review, I figure out my email looked quite bad actually.

How about:
"
Hello Sri,

We just want to state that we believe LAS initiative is good and well intended, and the board thanks the LAS team for their effort.

In our call we discussed that the board was worried about paying upfront the venue cost if the conference was not going to be more focused on GNOME and the lack of GNOME branding of the conference.

During our call the board discussed worries about paying the venue cost up front if the conference is not going to be more focused on GNOME. We were also concerned about the lack of GNOME branding of the conference.

For the former issue, an idea that was proposed is to have a minimum percentage of GNOME talks and people from GNOME attending LAS, although other ideas are welcome. We are happy to evaluate a new proposal coming from the LAS team addressing these issues.

Thanks,
Carlos Soriano
GNOME Board of Directors
"

On 6 February 2018 at 16:42, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Unfortunately I felt behind on sending an email to the LAS team and I forgot
> some details. I wrote this email, is there something missing?
>
> "
> Hello Sri,
>
> To wrap up our points during the call and further discussions the board had:
>
> We believe LAS initiative is good and well intended, and the board thanks
> the LAS team for their effort.
> We are fine to provide the budget necessary to cover the venue. Because of
> that we are in a different footing, so the board would like the event to be
> more relevant to GNOME. For that, we came up with the idea of having a
> minimal amount of talks and workshops related to GNOME technologies. We are
> open for more ideas, and would appreciate the LAS team to come up with some.
> We would like to evaluate a new proposal with the previous point addressed
> and the budget and possible sponsors more settled.
>
> We look forward to your answer, and thanks again for the effort!

Thanks for this, Carlos! It looks good in general, but I find the
second bullet a little hard to follow and I'm not sure about some of
the points there.

I'm not sure we should offer to fund the venue until we've seen a
proposal and voted on it. What we could say is that we would welcome a
fresh proposal that addresses the points we discussed. From my memory
of our previous meetings, one key point is that LAS be a GNOME event,
with GNOME branding.