Re: Contract revisiting

[board only]

Trying to get a head start on this discussion so we have a more
productive discussion if we’re to talk about it on the call.

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 3:26 PM, Andrea Veri <av gnome org> wrote:
That said, I'm getting in touch as I'd love to see my contract
revisited regarding the hourly rate that I currently perceive
(14EUR/hour). During the past 5 years (and probably due to the lack of
an ED until now) the contract has remained untouched and the hourly
rate never revisited. I'd like to request to have the Board consider
revisiting the hourly rate.

I reckon the request for a raise is very reasonable. The initial rate
actually seems quite low, but of course we have to take into account
the context of contracting for a nonprofit with limited funding. A
quick calculation applying
[COLA](https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/colaseries.html) yields an
increase to 14,57 which seems quite ridiculously low. Another point
worth considering is that if it took us 5 years to have an increase,
it may take another 5 years for the next one.

With all that being said, I still have no clue what a correct rate
would be in that context. Do we want to “just” move to 15€/hour? “All
the way up” to 16€/hour? Something even more drastic?

Zana, do you know how that rate was decided/negotiated in the first
place? Can you also remind us how many hours we are charged
approximately in a year?

Maybe Andrea could give us hints regarding his expectations?

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director