[Geary] Heavy disk writes

Nelson, Jim jim at yorba.org
Wed Jan 9 19:29:48 UTC 2013

Hmm ... I don't see anything like this with iotop.  Know that even if Geary is minimized and not receiving mail, it does periodically poll the server.  It does this for a couple of reasons: (a) to check that the connection is still alive (there are certain situations where a dropped connection is not detected at the socket layer) and (b) changes to IMAP message flags are not reported during IDLE, meaning that Geary has to periodically download them and compare them against what's in the database.

That said, neither of these activities should result in 100MB of disk writes.  Even the message flag changes only writes changes, which is generally pretty minimal.

So, a few questions:

* What service are you using?  Gmail, Yahoo, Dovecot, none of the above?

* How many messages are in your Inbox?  (Approx.)

* How many folders do you have?

I might need you to send a log at some point, but let's start here.

-- Jim