Re: North American Event Box needs master guru

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 08:24 -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>
wrote:

        P.S. The event box currently lives with Larry Cafiero who
        keeps it in his house, restocks it with the supplies we've
        given him and ships it from event to event. Right now without
        a schedule or a process, we're asking him todo a lot of work.
        And he already maintains the Fedora event box too.

Actually, it lives in my office :-) . While it's fine that it lives
here and while I can stock it with swag, etc., from time to time (and
when needed), I am far from the master guru that this box needs to
attend to it.

Thanks, Stormy, for addressing this issue and I'd be glad to help with
any transition to someone who wants to take on this important duty.

To address Bryen's comment in another e-mail about media, I will make
sure that the box has Fedora CDs and DVDs.

With all due respect, while I was glad that I was able to facilitate
providing openSUSE CD's at the CSUN conference, I was a bit
uncomfortable with the fact that we were the only ones with media.  I
felt it gave visitors the impression that openSUSE was the preferred
distro of GNOME Foundation, and would have been more comfortable with
providing a selection to our visitors.

With the CSUN Conference, we've already resolved not to let that happen
again and make sure that next year's conference will have multiple
selections.  I think its best that we ensure that practice for all GNOME
Foundation booth events.

As for counts, just to give an idea.  We had 300 CDs, (Live, 32-bits,
and 64-bits) and were left with about 30 afterward.

We also gave out 50 shirts.

I think asking the major distros to contribute media and swag up front
would motivate many of them to do so, as it reduces their own costs of
coordinating shipments on a per-event basis and gives them additional
advertising.

Of course, all this means more work for you divvying up the goodies, and
maybe that's not a good idea either.

Bryen

Larry Cafiero