[Ekiga-list] ekiga and pulseaudio

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Wed Sep 19 16:57:21 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 19 septembre 2007 à 16:39 +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth a
écrit :
> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > As I mentionned earlier in this thread, if you remap the default device
> > in .asoundrc and use it in Ekiga, it works.
>
> Ok, maybe I should be more precise.
>
> I cannot even select a device in ekiga because it does not find any devices.
>
> Preferences->Devices->Audio Devices:
>    Audio plugin set to ALSA
>    Audio devices show both (input and output) that "No device found"
>    Detect devices does not change anything.
>
> On the hardware view of sound devices this is true because the
> machine does not have a sound driver loaded but i do have sound
> with pulseaudio and with alsa's .asoundrc redirection to pulseaudio.
>
> Is there any way to dig deeper in ekiga's device discovery (debug)?

It is right.

The plugin is programmed this way :
if sound devices are found, then allow direct access to those devices
AND
add the possibility to access the default device.

That means that if you have a soundcard, you can have direct access to
the card, but also access through the "default" device that you can
remap as you wish. If you do not have a soundcard, then the "default"
device will not be accessible.

The plugin could be changed to alter that behavior.
It could also be enhanced to allow scanning user defined special devices
and allow to select them.

This work is yet to be done. Any taker ? (that should not be a complex
patch to do).
--
 _     Damien Sandras
       SIP Phone       : sip:dsandras at ekiga.net