[Ekiga-list] could not connect to remote host

Hazel Russman hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:37:37 UTC 2007

>    1. Could not connect to remote host (Hazel
> Russman)
>    2. Re: Could not connect to remote host (yannick)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:53:06 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Hazel Russman <hazel_russman at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: [Ekiga-list] Could not connect to remote
> host
> To: ekiga-list at gnome.org
>
> I am having difficulty in getting ekiga working. I
> have an account at ekiga.net and it appears to be
> valid as I can log in there. But when I try the echo
> test, I get first "Registration failed - timeout"
> and
> then "Could not connect to remote host".
>
> My setup: I am using Linux pppoe behind a SMC
> Barricade adsl router/modem. This has a built-in
> firewall (configurable via the web browser) but I
> have
> not changed its default settings. As far as I can
> see,
> it is not doing any packet filtering or nat,
> although
> there are timing checks to prevent DoS attacks. The
> ekiga configuration druid's nat test reported "open
> nat". I normally have a simple iptables-based
> firewall
> on the computer itself but I flushed it away before
> testing ekiga.
>
> I have looked at the ekiga manual but have not found
> anything that looks relevant (apparently this error
> message is sometimes caused by a nat problem but not
> with open nat).
>
> I attach the transcript of a level-4 debug run
> (slightly edited for privacy) which I hope will be
> useful for pinpointing what is going wrong.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Hazel

> Hi,
>
> Maybe this wont solve your issue, you're using a
> *very* old version of
> ekiga (2.0.1), we now are up to 2.0.11
>
> Consider upgrading it.
>
> Regards,
> Yannick

Thanks, Yannick. but that's not so easy. I am using
Ubuntu Dapper and this version is the latest that it
recognises (at least for my present list of
repositories). I notice that the version available
from ekiga.org is for Feisty. Would that one actually
run on Dapper if I installed it? Or would it be better
to download source and build it myself? I have a
little experience with building packages (though not
on Ubuntu) but I don't want to do anything that
involves upgrading libraries. You can really louse up
your system doing that kind of thing!