[Ekiga-list] ekiga - svn. installing as non-root user fails - continue

PawelCarqowski paulino90 at tenbit.pl
Tue Oct 30 22:08:05 UTC 2007

Hallo Alan & group members
I missed thread (that's why "- continue"), but not the last email, which is below. Sorry for inconvinience.

See comments in a message

Alan Lord writes:
 > PawelCarqowski wrote:
 > <snip />
 > > because, _localstatedir is used by ekiga, so....
 > >
 > > 3)
 > > $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr --exec-prefix=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr --sysconfdir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-etc --with-ptlib-dir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr --with-opal-dir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr
 > > $ make _sklocalstatedir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-var install
 > >
 > > - installed ekiga, but again, produced many lines as in case 1.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > > Pawel
 >
 > After autogen (which you should only need to do once, after pulling down
 > the svn source), try and run
 >
 > ./configure --prefix=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr
 > --exec-prefix=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr
 > --sysconfdir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-etc
 > --with-ptlib-dir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr
 > --with-opal-dir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-usr
 > *--localstatedir=/home/misc/ekiga/site-var* (Omit the asterisks, they
 > are just to highlight the switch!)
 >
 > make
 >
 > make install
 >
 > Looking at your switches, do you actually have ptlib and opal installed
 > where you say? These sort of switches are normally used to point to
 > unusual locations of *already installed* system libraries. On a "normal"
 > system, they would probably be installed in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib
 > and the corresponding include directories. 'ldconfig -p | less' is your
 > friend here.

Yes, they are installed there. Both pltlib and opal (and ekiga as well) are taken from svn and my goal is not to install them in any place in the system, and I think it's fine for unstable sources. During running ekiga I will just do:
env PATH=$PATH:_path_to_ekiga_site_bin_dir_  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=_path_to_ekiga_site_lib_dir_ ekiga

 > Secondly, I don't really know what scrollkeeper-update is but my guess
 > is it has a hard-coded reference somewhere to /var/log/scrollkeeper.log
 >
 > If you grep the clean source directory for '/var/log' what files does it
 > bring up? Take a look in those files for hardcoded paths and try
 > changing them...
 >
 > Also, if you use the DESTDIR solution, it looks like you can run make
 > install as root and it will be able to write to the scrollkeeper.log
 > file, and everything else will be written to DESTDIR. Just tee the
 > output of make install into a log file then you can see where everything
 > has been installed to. Something like:
 >
 > make install 2>&1 | tee -a ../ekiga-make-install.log
 >
 > should do it.
 >
 > HTH ideas help.
 >
 > Alan
 >
 > --
 > The way out is open!
 > http://www.theopensourcerer.com

Finally I cleaned up everything (ptlib, opal and ekiga) and used the idea with DESTDIR set to /home/misc/ekiga/site-dir for each componen: ptlib, opal and ekiga, while putting the following params to ./configure and autogen. Literally:

DESTDIR=/home/misc/ekiga/site-dir
pltib: ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-plugins --disable-oss --enable-v4l2
opal: ./configure --prefix=/usr
ekiga: ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-ptlib-dir=${DESTDIR}/usr --with-opal-dir=${DESTDIR}/usr

ptlib and opal compile and install without any problem to my DESTDIR
ekiga  also compiles without any problem, but installation produces the following warnings:

test -z "/usr/share/applications" || mkdir -p -- "/home/misc/ekiga/site-dir/usr/share/applications"
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 'ekiga.desktop' '/home/misc/ekiga/site-dir/usr/share/applications/ekiga.desktop'
GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule ekiga.schemas 2>&1 > /dev/null
None of the resolved addresses are writable; saving configuration settings will not be possible
WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/ekiga/devices/audio/plugin' locale `th': Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for `/schemas/apps/ekiga/devices/audio/plugin' set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path
WARNING: failed to install schema `/schemas/apps/ekiga/devices/audio/plugin' locale `cs': Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for `/schemas/apps/ekiga/devices/audio/plugin' set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path

..... mamny, many lines like these above....

I finally decided to do:
make DESTDIR=/home/misc/ekiga/site-dir install
as root user to solve the warnings above. It helped. Installation finished.

best regards,
Pawel