[Ekiga-list] Dialing 1-800 numbers in the US

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:34:48 UTC 2007

> Le vendredi 12 octobre 2007 ? 20:43 +0200, yannick a ?crit :
>> Le vendredi 12 octobre 2007 ? 10:25 -0700, JCA a ?crit :
>> > test e.g. 1 800 4321359 (for Frontier Airlines.)
>>
>> It seems this number answer a SIP 407:
>> "407 Proxy Authentication Required
>>
>>    This code is similar to 401 (Unauthorized), but indicates that the
>>    client MUST first authenticate itself with the proxy.  SIP access
>>    authentication is explained in Sections 26 and 22.3.
>>
>>    This status code can be used for applications where access to the
>>    communication channel (for example, a telephony gateway) rather than
>>    the callee requires authentication."
>>
>> I'm not sure what this exactly means in this situation...
>
> That the user should directly register with the SIP registrar providing
> access to that number.
>
> Imagine XY provides access for free to those numbers, Ekiga.net will
> route the SIP requests to XY, which should relay the call.
>
> In some cases (I suppose it is the case here), XY will require the user
> to have an XY account to relay the call.
>
> We are doing this for 500 at ekiga.net, it is restricted to Ekiga.net
> users. However, Ekiga.net users can be called by anyone without needing
> the remote peer to have an ekiga.net sip address.
>
> It is a question of policy.

    I hate to bring up the "S" word (it royally pisses me off when
Skype can do something that Ekiga can't) but the fact is that I have
yet to come across a single 1800 number in the US that Skype can't
reach at no charge. This without registering to anything other than
Skype.

   How come that Skype can do it whereas Ekiga can't?