[Ekiga-list] Ekiga quits, (crashes?), when I click on the Webcam icon, or on the "Test Video Device" button in the Druid.

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Fri Oct 26 06:53:08 UTC 2007

Ian Murdoch wrote:
> Hi Damien and Kilian,
> Thanks for your instant and most helpful replies. I have just been to the
> Ubuntu website to check out my options for upgrading and have found that the
> situation is not so simple. Feisty, Version 7.04 is now obsolete and is no
> longer available for downloading, having been superceded by a new release,
> Version 7.10, called Gutsy, (would you believe?). I cannot upgrade to it
> because it is one release removed from my Dapper, (it is only possible to
> upgrade from one release to the next). So I would have to install it, which
> would wipe out my Dapper. I am not willing to do that because my Dapper is
> highly configured now for my particular usage needs. I have spent many hours
> over this past year configuring it, adding a number of new applications and
> fighting with obstacles that were presented at every step. So I am not
> willing, or able to repeat that dedication of effort.
> But I have another option. I have two hard disks in my CPU and one is
> vacant. So I could install Gutsy on the vacant HD and run Dapper and Gutsy
> side by side, putting the latest version of Ekiga  in Gutsy and continue
> with my efforts to activate my webcam there. But this plan depends on
> whether you are going to provide an Ekiga download file for Gutsy. I am
> therefore in your hands and will appreciate your comments on this point.
> Thanks again for your friendly help. Ian Murdoch.

Hi Ian,

You can obtain edgy and feisty from http://ie.releases.ubuntu.com/

However as with Debian if you jump versions you may not have the most
pleasant of experiences.

Personally if I was moving from dapper given the internal structures
changes to Ubuntu I would jump on the fresh install route, and choose
whichever version you want.

Regards,

Paul O'Malley