[Ekiga-list] Ekiga quits, (crashes?), when I click on the Webcam icon, or on the "Test Video Device" button in the Druid.

Ian Murdoch ianyoli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 22:53:27 UTC 2007

Hi Damien and Kilian,
Thanks for your instant and most helpful replies. I have just been to the
Ubuntu website to check out my options for upgrading and have found that the
situation is not so simple. Feisty, Version 7.04 is now obsolete and is no
longer available for downloading, having been superceded by a new release,
Version 7.10, called Gutsy, (would you believe?). I cannot upgrade to it
because it is one release removed from my Dapper, (it is only possible to
upgrade from one release to the next). So I would have to install it, which
would wipe out my Dapper. I am not willing to do that because my Dapper is
highly configured now for my particular usage needs. I have spent many hours
over this past year configuring it, adding a number of new applications and
fighting with obstacles that were presented at every step. So I am not
willing, or able to repeat that dedication of effort.
But I have another option. I have two hard disks in my CPU and one is
vacant. So I could install Gutsy on the vacant HD and run Dapper and Gutsy
side by side, putting the latest version of Ekiga  in Gutsy and continue
with my efforts to activate my webcam there. But this plan depends on
whether you are going to provide an Ekiga download file for Gutsy. I am
therefore in your hands and will appreciate your comments on this point.
Thanks again for your friendly help. Ian Murdoch.