[Ekiga-list] Should contacts be attached to account ?

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Thu Nov 29 16:07:50 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 29 novembre 2007 à 06:48 +0100, Julien Puydt a écrit :
> Sergei Steshenko a écrit :
> > What does the word "use" mean in this context ?
> >
> > There is no "use account" or "set account" or "choose account" entry in GUI.
> >

> > Suppose when I start Ekiga, I check (in terms of checkboxes) my both accounts.
> >
> > So, which of them will be seen by my friend ?
> >
> > For example, in Ekiga I've entered two accounts and both are registered:
> >
> > myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
> > myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
> > .
> >
> > And I'm calling my_friend at voip.sipphone.net .
> >
> > So, will my friend see the call coming from
> >
> > myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
> >
> > or from
> >
> > myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
> >
> > ?
>
>  From the default account.

As reported here, it is possible to call a sip address without any
reference to a registrar Ekiga is registered. Thus if one of your
account (like Ekiga is registered to wengo.fr and this allow to call
myself_bar at voip.brujula.net ) and another account (for the exemple
gizmo) let you call dude at voxalot.com.

In this particular case, with Ekiga 3.0, you will have your friends in
the roster:
myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
dude at voxalot.com
and 1 default account which will work only for 1 of your friend.
To reach the other one, you'll need to change the default account, which
breaks the whole idea of the roster: direct access to your friends.

I wonder if contacts should be attached to 1 account when you create
them, with the option to change the attached account.

Regards,
Yannick