[Ekiga-list] multiple accounts - which of them is used as source ?

Sergei Steshenko sergstesh at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 23:36:58 UTC 2007

--- Carsten Maass <cm at blinkenlichten.de> wrote:

> Hello Sergei,
>
> Sergei Steshenko schrieb:
> > So, assuming all the pearing agreements are in place, could you please answer my
> > particular question:
> >
> > For example, in Ekiga I've entered two accounts and both areregistered:
> >
> > myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
> > myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
> > .
> >
> > And I'm calling my_friend at voip.sipphone.net .
> >
> > So, will my friend see the call coming from
> >
> > myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
> >
> > or from
> >
> > myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
> >
> > ?
>

> i guess the confusion you have is: _registering_ two accounts doesn't
> mean they are both automatically set as default. In the Accounts dialog
> you have the option to set one (and only one!) account as your default
> account, at which point things work like yannick said in his first post.
>
> Answering your question above:
>
> If you didn't set one of your accounts manually as your default account,
> the account you first added to ekiga became your default account
> (identifiable by its bold font) and will be used for the call to
> my_friend at voip.sipphone.net
>
> If you manually set the second account as your default account, this one
> will be used for the call.
>
> Greetings,
> Carsten.

Thanks for answering.

I suggest to put this info, i.e. the short answer:

"
my_friend at voip.sipphone.net

If you manually set the second account as your default account, this one
will be used for the call.
"

into documentation.

So far all the SIP user agents I've tried had a clear separation between default
account and current account, i.e. the one from which the call will come to
destination.

And I believe all those other user agents do the right thing.

So, I also suggest to upgrade Ekiga functionality WRT default <-> current accounts
so it will be like the others' one.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/