[Ekiga-list] ekiga behind speedtouch 780 home gateway

SZABO Zsolt szazs at mm.bme.hu
Thu Nov 22 08:13:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've got the following problem (Ekiga 2.0.9 for etch):

I CAN use ekiga through a vpn tunnel (of my office), when I setup the vpn
as the default gateway and enable the ports 5000:5100 in the FORWARD chain
at the firewall of the office. To more precisely say, the echo test on
500 at ekiga.net seems to work (I can hear the welcome message and later my
voice).

However, I would like to setup ekiga without this vpn hack. When I forward
the port 5000:5100 on the SpeedTouch home gw to my linux box ekiga CAN
register either setting the NAT mode to STUN or IP translation.
I have also succeeded in connecting to 500 at ekiga.net but I CANNOT hear
anything! I have checked my registration by logging in ekiga.net, and I
see: myaccount at adsl.ip.num.ber:4053

That was a bit strange, thus I set back the default gw to the vpn, and
rerun ekiga and the echo test (with success) and checked the registration
at ekiga.net again: myaccount at myoffice.gw.ip.num:5061 ...

So, setting the default gw to my home gateway and rerunning ekiga a couple
of times and testing the registration showed every time different port
number out of the range 5000:5100. Thus I have enabled the port forwarding
on SpeedTouch  home gw for ports 4000:5900, and checked the registration
again: the port was 5902! (Earlier I had also tried to forward all port on
the home gw (1:65535) but as fas as I remember that did not work at
all...)

My question is that whether this operation is normal...?

At another place (my parents) where there is no home gateway (router) and
the linux box dials an ADSL modem (of the same ADSL ISP) and setups the
firewall rules can be found at ekiga.org, there is no problem with the
echo test (and the version of Ekiga is 2.0.3)

--
Zsolt