[Ekiga-list] speakerphone mode

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:41:43 UTC 2007

Damien Sandras wrote:

> That is a good idea.
>

> Notice we could also reuse echo cancellation algorithms from Asterisk.

Hi, forgive the intrusion.

I had a similar idea a week or so ago but am not a software engineer. I
built and installed Asterisk on my LFS (Linux From Scratch) server. I
have a cheap analogue PSTN (x100p) card and the standard EC with the
Zaptel modules didn't do much - echo was bad...

I installed the OSLEC canceller from David Rowe
(http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html) which is simply a kernel
module that interfaces to the zaptel module. It is brilliant! Worked a
treat...

On my desk I use the Polycom Communicator (a handsfree combined
mic/speaker) USB audio device. And although most of the EC and noise
suppression technology is apparently in their Windows only drivers, it
works "OK" on my Ubuntu Desktop, but I do have some problems with echo.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the OSLEC module in a
more "generic" way (perhaps within ALSA) so that it could be used to
provide EC services to almost any audio device or as a "driver" simply
for my Polycom C100s... Is this a sensible idea?

Cheers

Alan
--
The way out is open!