[Ekiga-list] OT: reading caller id from a analog telephone

Joe Desbonnet joe at galway.net
Sat May 5 14:30:44 UTC 2007

This is more a general linux/telephony question so I hope it's ok to ask here.

I need an application to be able to popup an information window
depending on the caller id of an incoming analog telephone call.

I know this can be accomplished with some modems, but I don't like
this solution because it involves installing PCI or RS232 modems and
does not scale well for more than a few phones lines.

I would much prefer hardware that has a network interface on the
computer side. The GrandStream HandyTone 486 adapter looks like it
just might be able to do this, but there is insufficient detail in the
manual to know for sure.

Does anyone have suggestions for a (low cost) hardware setup to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Joe.