[Ekiga-list] Problem receiving calls... and a solution.

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Wed Mar 14 17:24:38 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 14 mars 2007 à 10:57 -0300, Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira a
écrit :
> Em Qua, 2007-03-14 às 14:42 +0100, Damien Sandras escreveu:
> > > One last thing, the key you mentioned above is in the NAT section of
> > the
> > > configuration. However, my host *isn't* behind NAT, it is behind a
> > > firewall that behaves like NAT except for the address translation
> > magic.
> > > Is it possible that Ekiga detects it is not behind NAT and decides
> > not
> > > to send the packet?
> >
> > Exactly !!
> >
> > That is the reason why it doesn't send it. I had forgotten that
> > detail.
>
> Good! Problem detected.
>
> I hope I'm not being a pest, but do you plan to do something about it?
>
> I believe statefull UDP firewalls without NAT are not that common now,
> but still many people are behind them. And I'm sure this type of
> firewall will become more common as we move to IPv6...

I suppose so, NAT will disappear and such firewalls will appear.

> The solution is the same as in the NAT case, because the definition of a
> established UDP "session" is the same in the two cases (NAT and
> statefull fw). The problem is detecting that you are behind such
> firewall, as sending this refresh packets "just in case" seems a bit
> silly for the general case. Anyway, at least a note in the FAQ would be
> helpful for us behind this type os firewall.
>
> In any case, thank you for looking at this problem!

Please report a bug about it on bugzilla, and I will implement
something. Always sending that packet is not so silly. Perhaps I could
add an option "NAT Keep Alive" :
- Automatic
- Forced
with a parametrable delay.