[Ekiga-list] I hear no echo calling 500 at ekiga.net but am able to videoconference with my sister with horrible sound

Dieter Rogiest dieter.rogiest at telenet.be
Sat Mar 10 03:46:30 UTC 2007

I compiled ekiga-snapshot-060307 on Mandriva Linux 2007.
I have a Logitech Quickcam Fusion with integrated microphone.

When calling 500 at ekiga.net or any other echo service I hear the voice of the
lady but never an echo of what i'm throwing at the microphone.
I produced "ekiga -d 4 > output.txt 2>&1" but I do not know what to look for
in that output.txt.
When I try to get an echo I see on my gkrellm window that there is +-10 KB/s
upload and +-10KB/s download on eth0, when I stop blabbing both streams drop
down.
I do not know whether that incoming traffic has already passed my software
firewall or that the firewall prevents that traffic from reaching ekiga.
My firewall has these ports open: 1720/tcp,  30000:30010/tcp,  5060/udp.
The configuration druid said that I do no need a STUN server. Are there other
ports that I should open?
The configuration druid audio test with my microphone works successfully.

With ekiga I am able to videoconference with my sister who uses ekiga for
windows but the sound is horrible on both sides. But I will talk about that
next week.

Skype for linux works with excellent audio.

Dieter