[Ekiga-list] Another attempt to get Ekiga working...

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 2 22:44:43 UTC 2007

Jason Ryer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am once again attempting to get Ekiga working in hopes that it works
> better than Skype. Unfortunately, it does not work at all. I followed the
> vague (and somewhat misleading) instructions and am still not able to make
> phone calls. I am confused about the terminology used in the
> instructions as
> they seem to be geared towards people with a bit of experience in the
> underlying technology of Ekiga.

Often true in open source projects :-) But when you have got things
working, please contribute by helping to write a better manual clearer
to newbies. Your experience will be very helpful.

> I set up a PC-to-Phone account and Ekiga shows a successful connection to
> diamondcard. However, when I try to call (001303xxxxxxx), I see the message
> "Calling" and nothing ever happens. I understand this may have something to
> do with my router and thus tried to run the "iptable rules" provided in the

So you are routing with a linux system? If you have a standalone router,
and it is detected a Symmetric NAT, then
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_behind_a_NAT_router
may help.

It also may help if you show us the messages displayed in the "General
History" Window (under the Tools menu). Perhaps also -d 4 later.

ael