[Ekiga-list] as netmeeting

Dan Stromberg strombrg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 04:41:55 UTC 2007

For "remote desktop", as microsoft likes to call it, you're probably better
off with VNC (which is a open standard that works very well and is available
in many diferent, mostly compatible, free implementations across Linux,
UNIX, windows, Mac, Palm, etc.) or microsoft's remote desktop facility
(which is mostly microsoft-only, and requires a special license to use).

The *ix philosophy is pretty much to have one tool per task, and voice/video
and remote desktop are pretty much different things.  There's nothing that
stops you from combining them though.

On 6/20/07, Julien Puydt <jpuydt at free.fr> wrote:

> joerg-haas at t-online.de wrote:
> > ekiga is often compared with netmeeting. My question: Can I operate
> > in the same way : give somebody my IP and allow him control my
> > appliance (or desktop) like it's possible in netmeeting? If
> > yes which steps are essential (where is this described). In the FAQ
> > I didn't found this covered.
>
> Ekiga does audio+video, it doesn't do remote desktop.
>
> Besides, I hope ekiga isn't that often compared to netmeeting, as it's :
> (1) dead
> (2) not standard-compliant
>
> Snark on #ekiga

Dan Stromberg