[Ekiga-list] Conference room status

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Tue Jul 24 22:07:34 UTC 2007

Le mardi 24 juillet 2007 à 16:12 -0400, Oliver Schinagl a écrit :
> Hi, i was just wondering what the status is on converencing with ekiga
> these days.
>
> I know you can 'dial' into a preset server/channels, but does this work
> 'dumb user mode' too? I hate to bring up skype, but I'm thinking, right
> click user, invite to converence. A simple message could be sent to the
> user to join channel number XXX with pin YYY.

I'm not sure how far the softphone (Ekiga) will integrate into the
service (ekiga.net)... But thanks you to share.

> Also does ekiga work with video conference aswell? E.g. have more then 2
> users see eachother via webcams? As that would be a 'killer feature' for
> ekiga. I know you can't just host rooms for video aswell, as it al costs
> a lot of bandwidth, and I know ekiga can't build mini servers into their
> apps, like skype does, cause i belive it's an outrage that they do that.

An MCU can do this ; but it seems there is no good free software MCU as
now. (the more promising seems to be openMCU). In shot a MCU is a piece
of software which will mix/pick up the video to send it back to the
participants.

Regards,
Yannick