[Ekiga-list] Aliasing in audio codecs

go music goemusic at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 29 16:14:49 UTC 2007

Thank you for both of your replies, Jean Marc and Stefan. Sorry that my knowledge about the linux sound systems is quite limited, I just have some knowledge in signal processing so I thought it would be helpful to point out the problem. And I perfectly understand Jean-Marcs answer that it does not directly relate to the codecs themselves, it is located before and after the codec.
Stefan do I understand right that when I use dmix I cannot use the sample conversion option you specify? Do I need to put exactly the option you state or replace the argument "samplerate" by the corresponding rate number?
I have edited the alsa.conf file and seen that there are options relative to dmix (defaults.pcm.dmix_rate 48000, so I guess I do use it?) fixing the sample rate at 48kHz. I inserted your conversion option and noticed that this had no effect after restarting alsa. Neither did changing the dmix rate to defaults.pcm.dmix_rate 8000. And I guess in this case anyway, ALL of my sound would be at 8kHz? So this does not look like an ideal workaround. And as long as ALSA does linear interpolation (it actually sounds more like next neighbour sampling) could this be a feature request for upcoming ekiga releases?

Once again thanks for your answers and neurons

Frank