[Ekiga-list] Ekiga/sip and Linux traffic control (prioritizing sip)

Wiktor Grębla greblus at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 14:06:58 UTC 2007

Hi.

First of all, thanks to all of you kind people who wrote this nice piece of software.

My question seems rather simple, but I'd like to ask for your advice as it's not really easy to me.
It all started when our wonderful DSL provider, polish (monopolistic) TPSA connected us
(6 of us) to the net with a not symmetrical DSL line (2Mbps/250kbps). Of course it's easy to
guess what happened, I wanted to be fair, and prepared a "tc" config with the equality
in mind, almost no restrictions on p2p. As a result, when i wanted to use Skype it all
went together with the outgoing p2p traffic to the same queue, resulting in... a lots of special
effects, also verbal, sometimes even vulgar ;).

Now i thought about Ekiga/sip, which seemed a good candidate to be "easily" filtered
and put into a separate class, possibly with a higher priority. Ekiga works without any tc rules
modifications with the iLBC codec, but the sound quality could be better, so I'd like to
have a separate queue for it - the only question is - what should i put there and how. So far,
by looking at the wireshark sniffing results I see at least five different protocols used during
a single call: stun at the beginning, then sip/sdp, sip, some udp data, rtp, h.261...

The question is , what protocols have to be "shaped" and prioritized to assure better
sound quality/different codec? (if you have tc examples I'll be of course more than happy
to take a look).

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,
W.