[Ekiga-list] Router problem

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 13 19:14:30 UTC 2007

Keith Powell wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have just bought a web cam and am trying to get Ekiga working, but
> without much success! As this is my first attempt at setting up 'web
> chatting', I am very much a newbie. So sorry if this is a very basic
> question.
>
> When I run Ekiga, without even trying to connect, the TX/RX light on
> my router immediately comes on and stays on permanently. The only way
> to stop it being on, is to switch the router off. It stays on even
> when I have shut ekiga down. Whilst it is on, the router is blocked
> and cannot be used for anything.

No idea what is happening there, but I would suggest that you start by
turning off video (under Preferences) and just get the audio going.

> I have another problem as well, which I am sending in the same message
> in case they are related.
>
> There is no sound. When I run the set-up wizard and do the sound test,
> nothing. The mic and speaker sliders in the audio tab are completely
> to the left. When I try to move them, they spring back to the left,
> so the audio is always turned right down.

This is a "feature" of ekiga which completely confused me when I first
tried it, and had teething problems. The behaviour you describe is
normal: the sliders only become active and sensible during a call. So
that is one problem solved :-)

A E Lawrence