[Ekiga-list] [Test site proposal]

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Fri Jan 12 10:15:01 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 10:49 +0100, W.P. a écrit :
> Damien, could You set up another account echo on ekiga.net (besides
> 500), with parameters:
> 1). all codecs enabled (for me especially LPC and iLBC ;).
> 2). accepting user (far end) order of codecs.
>
> Could You??
>
> This is inspired by mail from JCA. This would allow people to test
> different codecs, enabling tests on narrowband internet acces.
> Note, not everyone (even today) has a 2Mbit/s full-duplex connection.

Yes I could.

The only problem is technical.

Technically speaking:
- the Echo Test application should accept audio and video using a wide
range of codecs
- the conference application should only accept PCMA/PCMU audio, to
spare ressources on the machine, and also because
encoding/decoding/mixing from various codecs will lower the quality
- the voicemail application should only support audio
- ...

However, we are using Asterisk, and Asterisk allows setting codecs only
for the SIP channel and not application by application, which is the
problem.

If I allow more codecs, I break the conference application.

We should probably modify Asterisk's source code.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/
          SIP Phone             : sip:dsandras at ekiga.net