[Ekiga-list] Coexistence of ekiga with an ATA

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Thu Jan 4 08:40:33 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 03 janvier 2007 à 22:57 +0000, ael a écrit :
> Background:
> ----------
>
> I use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter, a sip based unit) connected to
> a standard handset, to my landline and to a cordless unit. This works
> even when my computers are not booted and allows me to make and accept
> voip calls away from my desktop. Also I prefer a conventional handset
> sometimes.
>
> The ATA is upstream of my computers so that it can give its voip ports
> priority when a call (via the ATA) is in progress.
>
> [Cable modem] ==== [ATA intercepting ports 5004,5060] ==== [Router] ===
> [local network]
>
> I also use ekiga for several reasons including the ability to register
> simultaneously with several sip servers, and I like to use a headset and
> have my hands free on most occasions. If I used a webcam, that would be
> another reason.
>
> On my various computers, I set ekiga to use ports other than those used
> by the ATA. On the machine that I am using to send this email, ekiga is
> set to use rtc ports 5010:5059 and udp ports 5062:5100, for example.
>
> Problem
> --------
> All of this works fine, except for one minor problem which is the point
> of this email.
>
> Ekiga --> Preferences-->Protocols --> Network settings is set to STUN.
>
> When I start ekiga, it registers with the sip servers properly, but then
> calls fail, or partially fail, often with "Abnormal call termination".
> However, if I navigate through the preferences as above and set and
> reset the STUN, there is a brief message on the screen about the STUN
> being partially blocked (presumably it is detecting the ports used by
> the ATA). Thereafter, ekiga works properly until it is restarted.
>
> I assume that ekiga is resetting its port usage when it detects that not
> all the ports it expects are open? Should it not have seen the ports set
> via gconf-editor, or is there something I am missing? Otherwise should
> it not make what ever check is involved on tinkering with the STUN
> setting in Preferences automatically at start up? You will gather that I
> have not looked at the source :-)
>
> I realize that my arrangment of at least two voip devices trying to
> "talk through each other" is probably unusual which is why ekiga does
> not handle the situation quite seemlessly, but I think that what I am
> doing is not unreasonable and may become quite common. And it is working
> pretty well even now.
>
> Suggestion
> ----------
>
> Ekiga makes the STUN checks at startup as described above?

It does.

However, if STUN detects "Partially blocked NAT", it is because the
forwarded ports on the router do not correspond to the ports used by
Ekiga.

Make sure the forwarding is correct.
Make sure the ATA is not using the same port range.

Also, you could use IP Translation instead of STUN when using port
forwarding.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-