[Ekiga-list] Coexistence of ekiga with an ATA

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 3 22:57:52 UTC 2007

Background:
----------

I use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter, a sip based unit) connected to
a standard handset, to my landline and to a cordless unit. This works
even when my computers are not booted and allows me to make and accept
voip calls away from my desktop. Also I prefer a conventional handset
sometimes.

The ATA is upstream of my computers so that it can give its voip ports
priority when a call (via the ATA) is in progress.

[Cable modem] ==== [ATA intercepting ports 5004,5060] ==== [Router] ===
[local network]

I also use ekiga for several reasons including the ability to register
simultaneously with several sip servers, and I like to use a headset and
have my hands free on most occasions. If I used a webcam, that would be
another reason.

On my various computers, I set ekiga to use ports other than those used
by the ATA. On the machine that I am using to send this email, ekiga is
set to use rtc ports 5010:5059 and udp ports 5062:5100, for example.

Problem
--------
All of this works fine, except for one minor problem which is the point
of this email.

Ekiga --> Preferences-->Protocols --> Network settings is set to STUN.

When I start ekiga, it registers with the sip servers properly, but then
calls fail, or partially fail, often with "Abnormal call termination".
However, if I navigate through the preferences as above and set and
reset the STUN, there is a brief message on the screen about the STUN
being partially blocked (presumably it is detecting the ports used by
the ATA). Thereafter, ekiga works properly until it is restarted.

I assume that ekiga is resetting its port usage when it detects that not
all the ports it expects are open? Should it not have seen the ports set
via gconf-editor, or is there something I am missing? Otherwise should
it not make what ever check is involved on tinkering with the STUN
setting in Preferences automatically at start up? You will gather that I
have not looked at the source :-)

I realize that my arrangment of at least two voip devices trying to
"talk through each other" is probably unusual which is why ekiga does
not handle the situation quite seemlessly, but I think that what I am
doing is not unreasonable and may become quite common. And it is working
pretty well even now.

Suggestion