[Ekiga-list] Symmetric NAT problem

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Wed Feb 21 22:30:39 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 21 février 2007 à 21:17 +0000, Paulo J. Matos a écrit :
> On 2/19/07, Damien Sandras <dsandras at seconix.com> wrote:
> >
> > >From my point of view, SIP from HTTP can not work. Transmitting audio
> > through TCP is not a good idea and can only lead to problems.
> >

> Isn't that how skype works?

Only in the worst case situation, but I'm not sure it gives good
results. In most of the cases, it is using peer-to-peer.

> > Moreover, there is no standard for that, it means I should implement it
> > my way.
> >
> > However, I was wondering : is it broken in your case because your
> > firewall rejects SIP traffic, or does it only reject traffic that is not
> > directed to port 80 ?
>
> Well, I just noticed my firewall rules here in the accommodation halls
> of the university changed. Now they say:
> Service: NetMeeting, PC-Telephone - Ports: Various Ports Open - Usage:
> Used for video and audio conferencing - you may not receive calls but
> you can make them
>
> So I guessed I could use ekiga now but... ekiga still reports symmetric NAT. :-(
> Should it?
>
> Is there a way to test what's wrong?

Why don't you ask the administrator ?
Opening ports for Netmeeting is a bit weird, Netmeeting is old.

I guess that if you know the "Various ports open", you could use them as
RTP and UDP range in Ekiga, and it should work. (Setting them using
gconf-editor).
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/