[Ekiga-list] Let's spread Ekiga : volunteers ?

Natasha tashazo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:59:13 UTC 2007

Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le lundi 19 février 2007 à 08:19 -0800, JCA a écrit :
>
> Have you tried with Ekiga 2.0.5 ?

          I CANT EVEN GET THE LATEST VERSION TO INSTALL!  AND I may not
          know Unix that well, but I can at least get around (for
          regular easy stuff).

          I like Ekiga, and have recommended it to others, but my 2.0.1
          freezes A LOT.  I wanted to upgrade to 2.0.5 since you said
          it's ready and good.  I tried, cannot get the thing to
          install, no matter I do.  It always wants a version of pwlib
          that I don't have.  I've installed, uninstalled, reinstalled,
          used cvs sources, sources from Jan, and finally the sources
          displayed for download on the website.  I've gotten help from
          another member on this list. This is really too much time
          wasted, and now I feel like a dummy since I can't get it to
          work.  I guess I should wait for the official ubuntu package
          to update.  I'm too stupid to install it myself.

> >From my point of view, your problem is an ALSA problem, and it gets
> annoying that users are making the confusion between ALSA problems and
> Ekiga problems.

          THIS is PRECISELY why it's going to be hard to "spread
          ekiga".  MOST ppl don't even know what ALSA is, nor cares.
          They just want a sipphone that WORKS.  You "getting annoyed"
          is not right.  Explain it on the website!  Why do other
          softphones work out of the box for them but not ekiga?  Have a
          clear installation guide or faq!  You cannot blame the users,
          most have not even taken a cs course, let alone done a thesis
          on it.  Pls rethink this.