[Ekiga-list] Linux Journal article on Ekiga and Wengo

Oisin Feeley oisin.feeley at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:33:49 UTC 2007

Hi all,

This month's Linux Journal (March 2007, Issue 155 pp 22-26)
concentrates on VOIP Telephony (a lot of good Asterisk articles) and
contains a column from regular contributor Marcel Gagné which covers
Ekiga and WengoPhone.  He gives a good review to them both, but seems
to lean towards WengoPhone (for the stated reason of great sound
quality, SMS support and IM integration).  The article mentions Gizmo
towards the end but doesn't review it.

Personally I've had much better luck with Ekiga than with Wengo or
Gizmo in terms of getting them set up easily.  I also wonder what
codecs Marcel was using (on both machines) to test sound-quality.  I
think the review sold Ekiga a little short as although it's positive,
its praise is muted and the impression left is that the sound quality
isn't that good, that it has less features and that there's no easy
way of buying credits to do pc-to-pstn calls.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it on the list so that you're aware
of coverage.

Oisín Feeley