[Ekiga-list] Newer versions of ekiga won't work with Intel USB cam (gspcav1 driver)

John Z. Bohach jzb2 at aexorsyst.com
Thu Dec 13 19:07:39 UTC 2007

Sorry if this has been answered, but though the archives list similar
issues, can't find a solution.

I've been running ekiga-2.0.2 with pwlib-1.10.1 and opal-2.2.2 (all
built purely from source) on a system with an Intel USB webcam that
uses the gspcav1 driver.  Everything works fine as far as video goes.

I then upgraded to ekiga-2.0.11 (and pwlib-1.10.10 and opal-2.2.11 as
required, again all build from source), and I start getting these
popups regarding video:

Your driver doesn't seem to support any of the color formats supported
by Ekiga.

Then, dmesg reveals:

.../linux/gspcav1-20070508/gspca_core.c: [spca5xx_set_light_freq:1889]
Sensor currently not support light frequency banding filters.
.../linux/gspcav1-20070508/gspca_core.c: [gspca_set_isoc_ep:903] ISO
EndPoint found 0x81 AlternateSet 7

And there are numerous repeats each time I attempt to access the camera.

So backed down to ekiga-2.0.9 (with the requisite pwlib-1.10.7 and
opal-2.2.8) and I still get the same errors and no video.

So anybody know what happened between ekiga-2.0.2 and ekiga-2.0.9 (and
associated pwlib and opal) that might cause this?  Almost seems that
newer versions are trying to wring some feature out of the video driver
that's not supported, and hence the issues...perhaps an auto-brightness
feature or something?  Just guessing, but whatever it is ekiga-2.0.2
didn't do it...

There don't appear to be any useful indications of cause of failure even
if I run 'ekiga -d 4', but I can supply this if deemed useful...

Thanks for any insight...

--john