[Ekiga-list] sound quality

arnuld geek.arnuld at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:38:26 UTC 2007

> On 8/9/07, Kevin Hunter <hunteke at earlham.edu> wrote:

> Given recent mention that I'm using an out of date version of Ekiga
> (2.0.3) because it's what Ubuntu currently has in it's repositories,
> what are my options in terms of sound and quality?  No matter which
> codec I put at the top of the list in Preferences, I seem to get very
> choppy sound.  When I dial the 500 at ekiga.net address, it connects, but
> both the woman's voice and my own are very muddled and hard to hear.  It
> clears up for a few seconds after about 5 seconds, but then returns to
> choppy, low quality.  (Juxtaposed with the Skype client that I just
> tried which gets very good quality of sound, so I'm certain it's not my
> hardware/driver.)
>
> Is there something not written in the docs that I'm missing?

same happened with me as i have only 256 kbps bandwidth connection. go
to "Edit > Preferences" and do these 2:

1.) choose right audio-codecs (according to your bandwidth).
2.) if you do not have any need for a web-cam, disable the video support there.

both will do the job. i have disabled the web-cam as i donot find any
need for it. i think voice-chat clients are better with Audio support
only :)

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/