[Ekiga-list] need documentation of how to get Ekiga working with other programs

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Tue Oct 31 08:51:56 UTC 2006

Hi !

Le lundi 30 octobre 2006 à 10:34 -0800, David M. Kaplan a écrit :
> Hi Yannick,
>
> Thanks for explaining why text and video have problems.  Your
> explanations make sense.

You're welcome.

> As for the wiki, perhaps it would be best to host it on another site
> that would allow community involvement on editing?  There are free wiki
> services out there, but we could also try talking to gnome, ubuntu and
> redhat to see if they would host it.  I think this would really make
> generating documentation much easier and allow developers to spend more
> time on developing.  I personally would contribute to a wiki, but it is
> really hard to email wiki changes unless they constitute entire new
> pages.

I agree with you; this would be much easier to allow people directly
edit the wiki, but as i told you the wiki was like this before and was
hacked, which really was annoying to the person in charge of it (Damien
Sandras) as he has *lots* of other things to do (coding, administrating
ekiga.net, etc.). Since then, editing the wiki has been restricted to a
circle of few trusted people using passwords. See below... IMHO, having
it hosted elsewhere, isn't really a solution as the problem is *who*
will be in charge of it. Who will dedicated his time to this task
assuming the person is a wiki master who can deal with
"sabotage"/hacks ? I'm not that kind of people... In the other hand, the
Ekiga team see now the wiki system as a very good way to document Ekiga.
It seems, we will use it more and more...

> Another approach would be to allow editing from a very controlled group
> of people - there is a way to have mediawiki email passwords just to
> those you want (i.e., we could make people request accounts via email
> and only after they are well known) and you can set up the wiki so that
> it only operates over SSL for password protection.  Just a thought....

...this is mostly the way it works. Damien Sandras, as he is the wiki
administrator, granted me access to the wiki giving me a password and i
started working on it.

If you want to directly edit the wiki, ask Damien. I can't give you
access to it.

Perhaps, we should open a new page in the wiki providing infos how to
grant access to edit the wiki for people willing to help on it...

Regards,
Yannick