[Ekiga-list] need documentation of how to get Ekiga working with other programs

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Sat Oct 28 01:54:29 UTC 2006

Le vendredi 27 octobre 2006 à 15:43 -0700, David M. Kaplan a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have recently become very frustrated trying to get Ekiga video
> conferencing to work with family that only use windows.  I have tried to
> use Ekiga (in linux) with Windows Messenger, X-ten and Ekiga for windows
> - in all cases, I ran into problems or could get sound but no video.
> What struck me was the lack of adequate documentation of exactly how to
> get things working.  Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place, but it
> seems that there is relatively little detailed documentation out there.

Well, IMHO that's true. I'm working on it, thinking having step-by-step
documentation is good for distro. This way, i've done some work for
Ubuntu documentation installing/configuring Ekiga, both english and
french version. But, considering your request, it seems to me some
topics are of general value, i.e. interoperability with other software
on different platforms, how to set up Ekiga with SIP providers, how to
subscribe ekiga.net...

> It seems to me that there needs to be an Ekiga Wiki where people can put
> their experiences online.  A table that says what aspects of what
> programs work with ekiga linked to instructions on how to setup both
> sides of the connection would be very useful.  Another useful topic
> would be instructions on how to test both ends of the line.  Some hints
> of this are in the FAQ, but it wasn't sufficient for me.

Problem with wiki is how to avoid attacks against it. Right now, only
few trusted people have access to it.

Another issue is how to stay up-to-date and be exhaustive regarding
interoperability of Ekiga with other SIP/H323 implementation ? But this
is part of the frequently asked questions when you talk with Ekiga
users. On the purpose of saving time for all people involving in Ekiga,
i've started a new wiki page about this topic :
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Wich_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F

I'm not sure title is right, i'm not even sure I should open this
page... Fact is when people succed using Ekiga with another
software/harware they mostly do not inform us about it, and they do not
provide us a step-by-step how to setup the other software.  I know much
more about issues than succes...

Feel free to comment.

Regards,
Yannick

--
Me joindre en téléphonie IP / vidéoconférence ?
sip:yannick at ekiga.net