[Ekiga-list] wired VOIP problem and how to playback rtp data under linux

Konrad Karl kk_konrad at gmx.at
Wed Oct 25 12:54:32 UTC 2006

Hi Damien,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 09:19:42AM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I would suggest that you make sure it is not a soundcard problem.
> Also try other codecs than iLBC, iLBC had been buggy in the past in
> Asterisk.

I am quite sure that it is either a soundcard problem or that
another timing source on this laptop is not accurate on his
laptop...

About iLBC: this was the only codec where the speech
was intelligible for the longes time. speex distorted much earlier.

The asterisk iLBC seems to be fine since I have no problems using
either X-lite or ekiga on other machines.

I have also read the postings about the first part of the
asterisk echo test being cut off - I can confirm that. It
happens with ekiga (windows/linux) but not with X-lite.
For the moment I have cured it by inserting some delay before
the greeting message.

> Le mardi 24 octobre 2006 à 20:50 +0200, Konrad Karl a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > the following VOIP problem is giving me headaches..:
> >
> > 3 machines connected via VPN  A---Z---B
> > Z is a openvpn server and also runs asterisk.

[ deleted]

> > Now I want to listen to the captured RTP traffic to see if it is
> > already distorted before entering the asterisk server.
> > (preferably under Linux)
> >
> > Hints about how to do this would be very much appreciated.
>
> You can do it with ethereal, using PCMU or PCMA, but nto any other
> codec.

so it seems somebody will have to jump in and write such a utility... :-(

> > NB. today I bought a USB headset, perhaps it will cure this problem
> > but I am still curious.

I will let you know if USB headset (Logitech 250 USB) works OK.

All the best,
Konrad