[Ekiga-list] Ekiga CVS snapshot too slow

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Mon Oct 9 14:10:13 UTC 2006

Le lundi 09 octobre 2006 à 14:11 +0200, Jan Kasprzak a écrit :
> 	Hi all,
>
> I have built pwlib, opal and ekiga from http://snapshots.ekiga.net/cvs/
> as of today (Oct 9). It now seems that ekiga is too slow when displaying
> video (my CPU usage is at 100%, resulting in choppy both video and audio).
> It behaves the same regardless of which video view I choose, and it behaves
> this way only when displaying remote video. Seeing just the local video
> is OK. Also suspending the video transmission is OK as well.
>
> 	My workstation is Athlon64 FX-51 (2.2 GHz). With the previous
> version (ekiga-2.0.2-3, opal-2.2.2-1.1, pwlib-1.10.1-5) the CPU usage
> was below 50%, unless I zoomed the video in. I have tested this by
> calling 500 at ekiga.net.
>
> 	The new UI is interesting - not bad per se, but I have some
> issues with it:
>
> - the video view "Both: side by side" is not there anymore
> 	(the "Both: picture in picture" is close enough, but side by side was
> 	better, as it did not obscure part of the remote image).
> - I have not found the current size of the jitter buffer there, nor those
> 	green tickers for incoming and outgoing audio level. I used these
> 	while testing new installations, and it was nice and quick visual
> 	tool for debugging.
> - I miss the separate "suspend video" and "suspend audio" buttons
> 	(altough the "suspend call" button seems more practical from
> 	the usability point of view). Maybe these two buttons can be
> 	added to the button bar as well? There is plenty of space below
> 	the video image.
> - the "Contacts" tab is empty.
> - the "Find contact" button opens the contacts dialog, but clicking on this
> 	button again does not close it (unlike the nearby "Open text chat"
> 	button).
> - when I click to the "new contact" button, and then on "Cancel" in the
> 	dialog which pops up, the ekiga crashes.
> - when placing a new call, maybe the main window should switch to the "Call"
> 	tab automatically.
>
> 	When building opal, I got errors in opal/samples/simple/main.cxx,
> because the "PConfig" symbol/class was not defined. I have commented it out
> (as it was only an example), and the compilation finished OK.
>
> 	And one question regarding 500 at ekiga.net - when I call this
> number, I usually do not hear the start of the message - the first thing
> I hear is usually somewhere around the words "In this mode, ...". I think
> it used to be OK in ekiga 1.99 or so, but I did not test it recently.
>
> 	Thanks and sorry for the wide range of issues in a single message.
> The main problem is the high CPU usage while displaying the remote video.

It is a work in progress, so do not expect to have all features of the finished product,
or it would already be released as a stable version.

However, nothing critical has changed for video support. So can you
possibly invest a bit of time into the issue, because I can not
reproduce it?
--
 _      Damien Sandras
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras at ekiga.net